Generals rout Titans 10 – 2 to force deciding game in East Division Finals

Apr 11, 2021

The visiting Northeast Generals routed the Titans 10 – 2 to tie the NA3HL East Division final series and force a third and deciding game tonight at the New England Sports Village in Attleboro, MA.

Northeast’s Jake Hosszu got the visitors on the board at 4:58 into the first period. After Ethan Kavanagh made a series of saves, the puck went back to the Generals’ Carson Asper behind the net, and he made a centering pass to Hosszu at the top of the slot. Hosszu took two tries that were blocked out front but after the second shot was blocked the rebound came right back to Hosszu who took another shot that found its way through a maze of players and past Kavanagh to make it a 1 – 0 game.

Eyan Gonzalves-Helm was called for cross-checking at 5:39 into the period to give the Generals the man advantage. Less then a minute later the Generals doubled their lead. With Northeast looking to set up in the offensive zone, Deacon More had the puck at the top of the point and he sent it over to James Clarke at the top of the far side faceoff circle. Clarke sent a return pass to Clarke and the defenseman took a wrist shot that went through a screen and past Kavanagh for his third goal of the playoffs.

With 9:56 left in the first period, Northeast’s Nicklaus Obourn was called for hooking to give the Titans the man advantage. Fifteen seconds later Philippe Doucette cut the deficit in half. After Doucette won the draw deep inside the Generals zone, the puck went to Brandon Avezov at the far side half wall, Avezov sent the puck back to Justin Cohn at the point and the West Chester, PA native took a shot that was saved by Northeast goalie Patrick Colburn, but the rebound came right out to Doucette who fired it into the open net to make it a 2 – 1 game.

The Generals regained their two-goal lead just nineteen seconds into the second period on a misfortunate play. With the Generals in the box to start the middle stanza, the Titans dumped the puck into the offensive zone where it was picked up by the Generals Jacob Kaminski to the right of his net. The defenseman sent the puck off the end and far side boards and it went all the way into the Titans zone.  As Kavanagh went to play the puck at the faceoff circle, a charging Peyton Felix blocked it. As Kavanaugh fell, the puck went to the far side half wall and Felix simply shot the puck on net that Cohn tried to drive for to stop it, but he missed it and the biscuit went into the open net.

Less then a minute later the Generals went up 4 – 1. With Felix behind the Titans net and to the right of Kavanagh, Felix made a centering pass out front to Clarke who took a shot that hit the post and Jacob Kaminski knocked in the rebound past Kavanagh for his second goal of the playoffs.

Tyler Kaminski scored on a powerplay goal at 7:55 into the second period to make it 5 – 1 and the rout was on.

Kavanagh and Grant Goodson combined to stop 28 of 38 shots while Colburn stopped 12 of 14. Click here for the box score.

The winner of tonight’s game will advance to the Fraser Cup tournament that begins on April 15 in St. Peters, MO.